Our office is committed to efficiently providing our clients with effective legal representation, and treating our clients, our employees, and our community with dignity and respect.
Click the links below to learn more about our innovative programs:
Compassionate and Innovative Criminal Defense
Case Specialists and Aftercare
Forensic Behavioral Intervention Unit
I am a Public Defender.
I am the guardian of the presumption of innocence, due process and fair trial.
To me is entrusted the preservation of those sacred principles.
I will promulgate them with courtesy and respect.
But not with obsequiousness and not with fear, for I am partisan; I am counsel for the defense.
Let none who oppose me forget that with every fiber of my being, I will fight for my clients.
My clients are the indigent accused.
They are the lonely, the friendless.
There is no one to speak for them, but me.
My voice will be raised in their defense.
I will resolve all doubt in their favor.
This is my credo; this and the Golden rule.
I will seek acclaim and approval only from my own conscience.
And if upon my death there are a few lonely people who have benefitted, my efforts will not have been in vain.
James J. Doherty, Former Public Defender,
Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Declaration of Commitment to Our Clients
- To treat our clients and other parties with respect and courtesy.
- To promote and protect our clients’ legal rights in our judicial system.
- To handle our clients; cause competently and diligently, in accordance with the highest standards of the profession.
- To exercise independent professional judgment on our clients’ behalf.
- To meet with our clients and be available as requested to discuss their cases.
- To return telephone calls promptly.
- To respect our clients’ decisions on the objectives to be pursued in their case as permitted by law and the rules of professional conduct.
- To work with other participants in the legal system to make our legal system more accessible and responsive.
- To maintain and preserve the client confidences learned during our lawyer-client relationship.
- To exhibit the highest degree of ethical conduct in accordance with the code of professional responsibility and model rules of professional conduct.
|Back to the Top|