A lifelong resident of Tampa, Julianne M. Holt has served as the elected Public Defender since January 1993.
Prior to being elected as the Public Defender, she served as Special Court Appointed Public Defender from 1987-1992 and was in private law practice from 1981-1992.
Ms. Holt graduated summa cum laude from the South Texas College of Law, where she was listed in the Who's Who of American
College Students. She also graduated from the University of South Florida, Hillsborough Community College, and Leto High School.
As the Public Defender, Ms. Holt manages the largest criminal defense firm in Hillsborough County, which employs 223 employees,
including approximately 120 attorneys. She also directs the representation of over 60,000 cases annually.
As an advocate for the indigent accused, Ms. Holt has worked with many state and national organizations and has personally
participated with numerous committees, councils, and boards focused on issues within the criminal justice system.
Ms. Holt and her employees are also dedicated to serving the community.
Since 1993, her office has consistently donated their time, financial support, and talent to aid organizations, students, and citizens both locally and nationally.
In addition to her duties as the Public Defender, Ms. Holt also serves as an adjunct professor at the University of
South Florida and the University of Phoenix.
- Pepin Academies Peregrine Falcon Award (2014)
- Mayor’s Alliance For Persons with Disabilities Employer of the Year Award (2014)
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers “Leaders in the Law Award”, 2014
- The Legal Network’s “Top Lawyer” Recognition for ethical standards and professional excellence (2014)
- George Edgecomb Bar Association Diversity Award (2014)
- HAWL Trailblazer Award (Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers, 2013)
- South Texas College of Law Public Service Award (2013)
- Florida Division of Career Development and Transitions "Marking a Difference Award", 2012
- E.J. Salcines Lifetime Leadership Award, 2007
- Florida Tax Watch Davis Productivity Awards: 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003-1996
- Equal Opportunity Council Equal Opportunity Employer Award, 2002
- Hillsborough County Hispanic Woman of the Year, 2002
- The Human Rights Council Hank Warren Memorial Award, 1999
- The Chief Justice's Outstanding Law Firm Commendation, 1998
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar
- Texas Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- George Edgecomb Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers
- National Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals; Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court; Middle and Southern Districts
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES & COMMITTEES
- DUI Counter-Attack Board of Directors
- Florida Public Defender Association
- Hillsborough County Partners in Crisis
- Long Term Funding for Drug Court Committee
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals
- National Legal Aid and Defender Association
- Public Safety Coordinating Council
- Hillsborough County Domestic Violence Task Force
- Hillsborough County Juvenile Civil Citation Task Force